Before even starting to put an organic SEO strategy together, the first thing to consider is to analyze your site and your competition sites: this first crucial step constitutes your SEO Audit. Whether you’re launching a new Website or improving your existing one, the SEO Audit should be used as pillars for your SEO strategy.
What is an SEO Audit?
An SEO Audit, conducted by an SEO expert, is the complete and objective analysis of your organic SEO, gathering different important elements such as on-site audit and off-site audit, competition audit, SERP (Search Engine Results Page) and keywords analysis.
Based on all this information, your Agency will be able to make relevant recommendations and put together your SEO strategy in order to naturally improve your ranking.
Many elements can be looked at:
- Site map SEO structure of the site with keywords to be re-worked on each page
- Potential semantic issues with the Metadata (title and meta-description, H1, H2, H3 etc.)
- Pages content (text, images, videos) which can be improved and optimized using the keywords
- Technical problems: site too slow, not crawlable by Google, not mobile friendly etc.
- The addition of rich snippets to boost the number of clicks in the SERP and helps google indexing
- Link building strategy to support the ranking
- Creation of additional sections in the Website: new pages, Blog etc.
By the way, we're giving FREE recommendations away in our eBook!
You can download it here:
The different steps of a SEO Audit
At Hat Media, our SEO Audit follows more or less the same process:
- Client brief: before anything else, we do need to understand your business, your needs, and your problems. Over the phone or on your premises when possible, we never rush this crucial step and greatly value the communication with all our clients.
- Keywords analysis: this step is important and will give the direction of the SEO strategy. It is mostly based on the viewers ‘requests, keywords competition, and keywords opportunities. Long tails keywords (niches) will be generated and included in order to rank on the first page.
- Competition analysis: it may give an interesting input about the on-site and off-site strategy found in the same industry. It also allows to spot what has not been done and how to make the difference.
- Performance audit: in the case of an existing Website, we’ll be looking at the evolution of your traffic, what keywords rank, what pages rank etc. The strategy will vary depending on the objectives, the size of the site and the performance.
- On-site Audit: analysis of the content and structure of the site, creation of new pages, check whether it is Google friendly, Readers friendly, nature of internal links etc.
- Off-site audit: analysis of the back links, their quality (authority) and relevance (theme) in accordance to the most recent Google algorithms.
SEO metrics and KPIs
Following up on the SEO Audit and the SEO strategy implementation, it is interesting to track the evolution of the site and how it performs. The indicators usually are the page views, average time spent on the site, bounce rate, domain authority, social actions, conversion rate etc.
An SEO Audit is necessary to understand how a site can be improved in terms of organic ranking and prepare a solid SEO strategy to put in place. Organic SEO is healthy but builds up over time, with consistent work and efforts. It can be time consuming but it well worth it at the end. However it might be totally counterproductive if done without any analysis or not done properly.
In our FREE ebook - 17 SEO myths you should leave behind in 2016 – you’ll find our client’s more common mistakes and how to avoid them.
Download your eBook now: