The search engine is not only useful for potential customers or clients, but it is also a signaling device. It sounds the alarm that this customer is in "hunt mode." The person is looking for information, often looking for products or services. The SEM marketing agency in Sydney understands the heads-up that this signal gives them. This often signals the beginning, middle, or end of a buying cycle.
Not only Google, Bing, Wombat and Yahoo but search engines include a wide range of buying sites in Australia. YouTube, eBay and Amazon are now considered among the largest search engine sites that are especially sensitive to people looking for information. Search engines are themselves in fierce competition to draw the eyeballs of internet users, using the very best techniques to tailor searches to make search results fruitful.
SEM marketing has to understand how to effectively use the mechanics of the search engine systems to get the most out of both paid and organic searches for the benefit of clients. The method of search engine marketing (SEM) is not intrusive like advertising. Potential customers take advantage of SEM as an aid in their buying journey.
SEM taps a searcher at the exact moment he or she is seeking knowledge or solutions. It's "just-in-time marketing." SEM takes full advantage of the searchers' interest when they select your content from among your competitors. SEM also tries to build the probability that your content will be the one selected by searchers by employing the tools of search engine optimization (SEO) on your behalf.
The methods the search engines actually use to rank websites are more or less secret. However, the following factors are clearly important.
- Global popularity: The more a site is linked to other sites the more important it looks and the higher on the ranking it will go.
- Community-based popularity: Links from sites within a specific topic or community count more than links from general or off-topic sites.
- Anchor text: If dozens of sites link to a page with the right keywords it will probably rank higher when those key words are used as search terms.
- Freshness: Link signals tend to decay over time if the website is unchanged. Sites that were once popular often go stale and fail to earn new links. It's important to continue updating your site and earn additional links. Search engines use the freshness of signals to judge current popularity and relevance.
- Social site sharing: Search engines treat socially shared links differently from other links. Links to social sites definitely have an impact on search engine ranking.
- Trust: The more links from highly trusted websites like trusted institutions, government, educational and non-profit organizations, the higher the trust quality of your site will be. These linkages establish a website as authoritative.
The best search engine marketers will try to earn links from authoritative websites to increase your trust rating.
The best search engine marketers avoid the link building "tricks" that are often used to artificially improve the number of hits without improving search engine relevance. Not only do these devices not work, but search engines tend to punish sites that use them, by penalizing search engine marketers who try to manipulate ranking and relevance.
Experts estimate that 60 percent of pages on the web are irrelevant content or "spam." Often the links on spam sites are also spam sites. Spam sites are rated by search engines as untrustworthy. Search ranking increases with the number of links to your site, but decreases with the number of links to untrustworthy sites. One of the tricks is to artificially increase the number of links to spam sites to increase the link count, toying with the delicate ranking balance between number of links and level of trustworthiness.
Hat Media is a 10-year marketing agency in Sydney. Our world, life is a well organised funnel. We work hard to reach your customers at all stages of the buyer’s journey. Please contact us to learn more or download our Free eBook on the 17 SEO Myths you should leave behind in 2016: