This post is about creating a custom report for a client using Google Analytic. Now that the Interface has changed and there is no going back to the old one - you should spend a bit of time familiarizing yourself with what the new Analytic has to offer and spend a bit of time creating a custom report for each client/website.
Google Analytic Reporting
Obviously each website will need a unique custom report based on the type of site it is and what it's goals are ( whether it be ecommerce, educational, informative, etc)
However, here are a few common widgets that should be added to the Google Analytics Custom Report:
- Start by logging into your Analytic Account
- Go To Traffic Sources > Sources > All Traffic. AT the top of this widget choose 'Goal Set 1' and add to New Dashboard.
- Go To Site Content > All Pages. Choose Secondary Dimension > Source and add to same Dashboard.
- Go To Traffic Sources > Social > Sources. Add to same Dashboard.
- Go To Audience > Mobile > Devices. AT the top of this widget choose 'Goal Set 1', Choose Secondary Dimension > Source and add to same Dashboard.
- Go To Audience > Demographics > Location. AT the top of this widget choose 'Goal Set 1', Choose Secondary Dimension > Source and add to same Dashboard.
There is so much more to be added but unfortunately Analytic has not yet created a Widget for some of the info that you can view on-screen. Stay Tuned! Apparently they will do so soon.
Make sure you re-name your Widgets to something that makes more sense! and schedule this report to be emailed to you every week or month or whenever you like to receive it.
So in the end your report should look like this:
Also, make sure you export the Visitor Flow Report which can be found under the Audiences Tab:
Questions to Ask Yourself
....and both these reports should now equip you with enough information so that you can determine the following important questions:
- Where are my Conversions coming from ?
- Which Sources are bringing me the most amount of Web Traffic ?
- Which Sources are bringing me the most amount of Conversions ?
- How effective are my Social Media Platforms ?
- Which Pages on my Site are people viewing ?
- Which Pages on my Site are people bouncing from ? And therefore need to be edited.
- When people visit my Home Page, where do they go next ?
- How many Pages on average are they Viewing ?
- What Devices are my Visitors using ?
- What locations are my Visitors from ?
All Great Info to have! That will help you determine how effective Online Marketing is for you or your clients.